Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Effective Training and Training Material

I have just started employment at a new company. Great I am finally back into a full time position. The first part of my job is to learn how their software works. I started with a couple of hours training with a member of staff. This was great, a lot went over the head but after a little percistance I started to understand their reporting module.

I have just started to work thorough their Accounting modules and finding the going tough. No due to the subject, but mind you a little dry. But the training material is very confusing.

Training is a pet hate of mine due to I want the information as quickly as I can get it. I have been involved in providing training and editing a training book for ColdFusion. ColdFusion from static to dynamic in 10 Steps, by Barry Moore. The important thing that I learnt from this experience was never to asume. I would have to say that this book is one of the best examples that I have seen in instructional design. When I was editing it I always took the position that the user or reader had no prior knowledge. In some respects that can be boring but you just never know where the reader is at.

Hopfully this will imporve with the material I am currently working with.

Marc Dimmick

No comments: