Saturday, June 16, 2012

Day 36/37/38/39 - Arrived in Heidelberg

Day 36 - Friday 15th June
- Travelling London>Frankfurt>Heidelberg>Wiesloch
I left at 6:45am and arrived here at 7pm - I am here, after a few trials and tribulations, boy was that fun. :)  I arrived in Frankfurt and was waiting for a shuttle bus. Someone had pointed it out as a shuttle to the station. After about 20min I gave up as time was moving on and I needed to get to the train for 3pm. I then headed over and caught a taxi only to findout that I had to actually go inot Frankfurt. The bus would have taken me to the wrong place. 


I arrived as the station just as the train was leaving. I then headed to the booking office to book the next one. My  International SIM worked as expected, NOT so no communications. Contacted the hire company to let them know was travelling late. 


Finally caught the train and arrive at Heidelberg and still having issues with the SIM had to find a public phone and call the hire company to pick me up. Got the car and away I went. Arrived at the location but took awhile to find the address. Now in situ and all is well. Just unpacking and then heading into Heidelberg as sunset is late and I can get some good photos, weather is stunning. so all is good. Great shots finished midnight. :)


Day 37 - Saturday (Sight Seeing)
Well started the day off with a walk with my host and the dog. We went to a local woods.


After returning and having some breakfast I first heading off to see the town of Schwetzinger and the Schlossgaten (Palace Gardens) these were created in a similar fashion to Versailles. Not at big but you can cover most of it in a few hours.
After my time here I then headed over to Speyer to see a cathedral that was recommended. This was a stunning building and the village was really great to.

While I was walking through the town I past a number of restaurants. At one I saw this delight which I could not pass up, so I stopped and ordered the special. :)

 by this point I rolled out of the restaurant and headed for the car. Being quite tired and ready to head home and have a sleep. There was a problem, as I walked back to the car I noticed a Jumbo Jet A787 just hanging there?? I thought. I started to drive and what did I see the Museum Technic, I am a sucker and could not pass. So I turned around and headed to another car park to see what I could see.
My grandfather had one of these, I remember riding around in it on the Isle of Wight
Neil Armstrong's space suit
An original U-Boat
 After this I was totally stuffed, so it was in the car and head for home. Quite and early night as I had a big trip tomorrow to Amburg.

Day 38/39 - Sunday/Monday (Catching up with a Rotary Exchange we hosted a few months ago)
Early Sunday morning I headed off to see Kathrin. First up I dropped into see the town of Rothenburg ob det Tauber. It is famous for its Christmas toys, walled city and an old Roman aqueduct. I was unable to find it on the way there but will follow up on my return on Monday.
I then headed to Amberg to meet Kathrin for her to show me her town. We first went to a hill near town which gave a great view. At that location there was a church and a restaurant that we went to for lunch. After lunch we needed to walk it off so we went to the forest which was right near where we were eating.

After this we then headed to meet Kathrin's parents and then out to Regensburg. There we saw some great architecture and I got to live a little of a childhood memory. It was all about a thing called a knickerblockglory and that it was so high you had to stand on the chair to eat it. We this is something like it but a lot smaller, but I was 5 or 6 then so everything was bigger.

We then headed back to Amberg for the Music festival and to watch the soccer German v Denmark and guess what Germany 2-1 so the town went crazy.  We watch till half time and then went to do a little night shooting before retiring for the night.

Monday we started early as Kathrin had to work, so I followed her in the car and visited the university where she is responsible for the marketing of the university and the courses it runs in engineering and recently the medical engineering course.
Kathrin's University - HAW Amberg-Weiden, University of Applied Sciences 
On the way back to where I am staying I dropped again in to Rothenburg to find the Aqueduct and take some more pictures of the old city.
Tomorrow I am visiting SAP. I will be meeting a number of people with respect to mobility, security and UX.

Signing off - 5:50pm June 18th

1 comment:

Sassa said...

The Museum Technic looks amazing, wish you could go inside the U-boat (or were those the next two shots?)