Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Day 47 - Head for the Hills, well actually the Alps

Tuesday - Day 47 / Daisy 17 days to go


Today I am heading for the Alps and the lakes area. It is about an hour south. On my return I should have some interesting stories and pictures.


Yesterday I started to put some flesh around my final report but the first exercise I did was to list my acknowledgements. In some ways I have been feeling that I have not achieved much for the time that I have taken to carry out this trip as well as the effort that I had put into planning this trip. This trip has been the culmination of a years work. Contacting total strangers in the field of Usability and Mobile Technology. Telling the story of how and what I was doing and requesting valuable time of theirs to a total stranger. 


When I left I had high hopes and lots of people to meet. As I progressed some of those meetings fell through, but from the meetings I did have I then was able to obtain more. Total strangers assisted me as well as good friends and business associates. To all of these people thank you. So as I was building my acknowledgement list I realised that I have achieved quite a lot and meet many and varied people. I have been shown and introduced to lots of new ideas and concepts and have I believed learn't quite a number of key points in my endeavour to answer the question of how do we make technology easy to use. The main point being the elephant in the room. The knowledge and capability has always been there, but there needed to be an alignment between the different groups responsible for the design, delivery and ideas behind the technology.


Steve Jobs was one of those people who was capable in achieving that by bringing the focus and simplicity as well as in his words, "Think Different". To that end I believe I have some concept on how we can approach this issue and create similar if not better experiences that Apple has in the past and now, as well as Microsoft in their up coming Windows 8 and their Surface Tablet, in Android with ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich - Android v4) and (Jellybean - Android VX.X). People as starting to "Think Different" and there is an alignment between all parties, the user, developer, manufacturer and business.


So that is my start of my thoughts, and I am heading for the hills / Alps.  :)


What a day, a cable car, boat and ratchet train up a mountain. The best part of the day was returning to find and email confirming my visit to CURE in Vienna and that they had offered me 3.5 days with them. :)
The cable cart maximum 4 people
The top of the mountain
Going back down 
The boat I took to get to the train 
The crank train I travelled on
The Mountain top I reached
The boat that I took to return

No comments: