Friday, June 01, 2012

Day 20 - Mauro New Media and Katherine Dillon - Professor NYU and digital media consultant

To start the day I have an interview with Charles Mauro of Mauro New Media. Charles was one of my original appointments that I made just over a year ago. As Charles time was quite limited I had prepared a number of questions that we covered over the 45-55min. 


My first question was about technology was supposed to make our lives easier but it has become more complex. Apple has show though their designs it is possible to simplify. But their view is tell the end user how to interact with technology not ask them. What was his perspective. Charles then discussed his perspectives with the options of closed and open systems the plus and minus of each. Even though Apple was a good example in some respects there model has some failure. 


We discussed user experience (UX) and how the name is a bit over used. That his speciality is more from the Human Factor Engineering and how many of the proponents of UX don't have the full appreciation of this field. As I get to talk with more people in this field is seems that a lot of the talk around UX and usability has been in the area of what is sometime referred to as eyecandy. More the look and feel and not the users experience in achieving a task.


I recorded the entire session with Charles and I have yet to review the recording. Charles raised quite a number of interesting points which I will be reviewing and making my notes after reviewing the recordings.


I then headed into town to meeting up with a couple I have known for many years. The last time I was in New York I was fortunate to stay at Michael's parents. This was a pleasure and quite an experience in american Jewish Culture. I was made to feel very welcome and involved and the experience has always stayed with me. It is something I will always remember with fond memories. Michael was unable to attend but I meet his wife Judith for a most enjoyable lunch.
Judith and I after leaving a very interesting Gem Shop
From there I then headed to the New York University where I was meeting Katherine Dillon a Professor at NY and digital media consultant. atherine teaches at NYU in the ITP Program. Again I recorded the session and we discussed what Katherine was doing and the projects that her students were involved with. 


We discussed issues of User Experience and User Interface design and I gained another perspective as to how her students where working with their Masters projects focusing around the area of user centric design and use. This are will be expanded upon further investigation of the recording. We had a fruitful discussion on a variety of topics and ideas. Finishing off with a number of books that both of us were reading and adding to our reading list respectively.




Arch at Washington Square
George Washington
.Arriving home about 7pm it was a case of crash and burn, the heat and humity here in New York has been quite intense over the week.

No comments: