Sunday, May 20, 2012

Day 8 - Lecture at Stanford University

Today I packed up ready to leave first thing in the morning, completed a number of emails and then at 11am headed off to Stanford. 
William Gates computer Science Block
I arrived at Stanford where I headed up to the 2nd Flr. There was a room off to the right of the lift, the Digital Computer Library Room. We had lunch and I meet up with a number of Doctoral Students. These are student from 1st year through to 5th year. 


Everyone introduced themselves and then Bjoern Hartmann started to explain about his research into crowd sourcing and the different ways that he has been trying to improve this situation. There was talk about Mechanical Turk which is a service that Amazon run on their website for crowd source activities. Researchers use this service giving businesses and developers access to an on-demand, scalable workforce. Workers select from thousands of tasks and work whenever it's convenient. People can get micro payments on minor tasks. 

After the lunch we then headed down stairs to the lecture theatre where the presentation.
The presentation was great, a small theatre with full audio video services. I even got to have some input to the topic suggesting that he could develop a virtual vending machine and place it in a VR world like 2nd Life. Thought it was an idea to explore but believed that someone was already doing it.


The topic was quite interesting but I have made some notes to go and further research the topic and some of the issues Bjoern raised. 


From there I headed home and then Jack came by and picked me up to take me to the movies. We went to see the latest box office hit which had just been release today. Battleship, a good action movie with great special effects and a lot of escapism in other words a boy movie. :) crash and bang and all that. 


After the movie Jack and Lucy took me to dinner and then Jack dropped me off at the place I was staying. A Great way to end that week and it was good to catch up with Jack.


Signing off, belated 19 May - 6:49pm - Forgot to finish and publish yesterday

No comments: